Wednesday, February 16, 2011

SQL Saturday #66, Colorado Springs

100_0659
Ted Malone presenting on Application Lifecycle
This weekend was my first time at a SQL Saturday. SQL Saturday is a free, one day - Saturday, training event put together by volunteers and sponsors. The event is for IT professionals that deal with Microsoft SQL Server and want to learn more on the topics presented by speakers. This weekend, the Colorado Springs SQL Server User Group, along with some friends from Denver and sponsors, put on the very unique event.

This event in Colorado was held at an indoor family fun center, fully equipped with an indoor Go Kart race track, mini-golf, laser tag, video games and more. Attendees were provided with game cards at which we used at breaks to, well, compete with each other in these realms. It was a great method to be social with otherwise complete strangers sharing an interest in SQL Server that Saturday. Oh, did I mention the sessions on SQL Server.

The morning began with networking, an interesting meet and greet session to break the ice. Then the sessions began. There were 15 sessions put into three tracks, enough to overwhelm anyone, beginner or experienced alike. I was fortunate to attend sessions by Chris Randall, Meredith Ryan-Smith, Randy Knight and Ted Malone. I was also very happy to meet in person and make some new friends:
100_0654
PASS Regional Mentor, TJay Belt
Bill Fellows | @billinkc
Chris Randall | @cfrandall
Meredith Ryan-Smith | @coffegrl
Randy Knight | @randy_knight
TJ Belt | @tjaybelt
Bill Pearson | @Bill_Pearson
Steve Jones | @way0utwest
Doug Lane | @douglane4
Kelly Martinez | @greeleygeek

Aside from this being my first SQL Saturday as an attendee, this was my first as a speaker as well. I took the liberty to present on the subject of SQL Server Security. I await to receive constructive criticism so I can improve as a speaker, and be able to present more on the subject. I also posted my slide deck on a previous post if interested. I can not compare to other SQL Saturdays as an attendee or speaker, but I will not forget the atmosphere, hockey theme, laser tag battles, mini-golf, new acquaintances and overall, fun.

Thank you to all the hard working organizers, volunteers and sponsors for putting on a great event.

No comments:

Post a Comment